Tuesday, April 09, 2013

And Just Like That...

On Reading The Mail When It Arrives

Last week, I was desperately waiting for a check to come in the mail (ah, the dance of the broke during the Week 'o' Rent) but wasn't paying sufficient attention to the mail as it stacked up, so the check was waiting there for me days before I realized it. And a day after I incurred a bounced check fee, no less. So you know -- read your fucking mail when it comes in. Even if it looks like a bill. Because even if it is, you're not doing yourself any favors by burying your dum-dum head in the sand.

Woke up this morning to an email from one of the people who works at Writers' Boot Camp. The email came in yesterday, but I thought it was spam, so I waited until I had a free moment to check it out. It turns out I was being offered  tuition-free entry into their newest class in exchange for a [fairly] modest amount of volunteer work. I thought I'd missed my chance, but I shot off an email anyway, and heard back right away. I'm in! Class starts tonight. I think the guy was pissed that I wrote him at 5 in the morning, but hey -- that's what he gets for keeping his phone on.

If you manage your life better than I do, you won't need tips like the ones I'm dropping in your hearholes today, but if you manage your life better than I do, then you probably aren't reading this blog.

No comments: