Wednesday, December 31, 2008

According to My Chinese-American Roommate

Whooo. Thank God we're at work today, huh? Am I right?!

Screw this. I'm bloggin', facebookin', twittin', um...forumin'...

...uh...I refuse to myspace so fuck right off with that thought...

um...

well, that's probably enough. That's all I'm doing today.

So.

Yeah.

I guess it's time for the third annual Year End Crap Up here at The Lake Street Get Down, and I want to thank everyone who supported my ass through another year.



I can't believe that I know so many non-jerks. Nice work, you guys.


2008: A Year That, According to My Chinese Roommate Would Be Full of Good Luck, But Wound Up Being Full of ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

January
-- out of work, but had lots of time to write. Finished a novella, as well as several episodes of Mine and Bernie's Show. Oh, and tried to break into the freelance erotica business for quick cash, but was put down like Ol' Yeller. Damn!

February
-- Worked for Ralph. That's both a literal truth and a particularly expressive euphemism (if you live in Los Angeles and work in Century City or know Paul S.). I miss that crazy momofuka every day. I could never get a decent picture of it, but my desk faced this gigantic technicolor nightmare of a portrait of Ralph a grateful client/insane person had painted of Ralph sandwiched between Woody Allen and Groucho Marx. That portrait -- all 64 square feet of it -- was never more than a foot and a half from me, no matter where I went in that closet of a cubicle I worked in. Cramazing. Ralph quickly became the inspiration for the boss character in Mine and Bernie's Show.

March -- got the job here at [name of publication redacted]. Blah blah blah, I'm not living up to my potential KISS MY ASS. I was broke, I needed money. Also, I'm you know...meeting people. That is Los Angelese for "this is how I rationalize my low pay."

...anyway, at that point my year went to shit. I ran a marathon in December and did some other big stuff (met Leonard Nimoy and Don Cheadle and Tilda Swinton and Jeff Goldblum and Garcelle Beauvais*) and saw about 40 puppet shows, but who cares, really? I'm looking forward to 2009 and things getting better.

Peace on Earth and goodwill to all people. I hope you guys get everything you're looking for in the new year.


* I know, that's a pretty random ass inclusion, eh? She was gorgeous and sweet, though

3 comments:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ said...

Happy New Year to you too!

Where did you meet Leonard Nimoy? Was he nice?

Adams said...

Leonard Nimoy was a-mazing, and cooler than Freddie Jackson sipping a milkshake in a snowstorm.

It was in Vegas, at the Star Trek convention, btw. I haven't been lucky enough to meet Spock at Del Taco, or anything.

Yet.

Admiral Neck said...

Wait a second, meeting Nimoy at a convention is one thing, and cool as hell, but THE CHEADLE??!?!? And Tilda "Goddess" Swinton? Did you tell her I've been crazy about her since Constantine? If not, why not? And not knowing is not an excuse. OMG!