Friday, October 17, 2008

Living through the last two presidential election cycles has made me so paranoid, yo. As an Obama administration looks increasingly inevitable, I keep wondering what October surprise is around the corner to fuck it up for us. The closer we get to 4 November, the less I want to talk about it. I don't want to jinx anything with my patented and world-famous brand of fuckituppity! I need to be out of this equation! Anything I want this badly is destined to not come to pass.



I really, really wish my mom was going to be here to pull that lever for Barack. She was so committed to social justice, on a large and small scale. And I know that she saw in Barack Obama a kindred spirit -- someone who genuinely cared about other people. Like, cared about them and wanted the best for them.


And my mother, who grew up in the segregated south of the 1950s...I just can't imagine what it would have been like for her (and will be like, for her surviving brothers and sisters) to pull the lever for Brother Barack.


Listen, I'm child of the '80s. After being wrenched from the bosom of my loving cousins in VA, I moved to Wyoming with my mom and new stepdad, where I was often the only black person in my class, in my school, in the fucking vicinity. But nevertheless, I grew up in an environment that was largely welcoming (not really, but at least people weren't hateful*). I mean, I'm not going to lie to you: it sucked not being around black people. But the qualitative differences between the de facto segregation of my childhood and the de jure segregation of my mother's childhood and parts of her adulthood...well, I just wish she were here so that I could celebrate with her. Because she would be celebrating. My, Tina loved a party. And a party for the ol' red, white, and blue?



She would have been smiling to beat the band. She loved this country. She really did.


By the way, that dashing young serviceman in the center of that photo board was my uncle Stanley, who was killed in Vietnam. All of my uncles, my dad, my brother, and over half of my cousins -- male and female --have served or are currently serving this nation honorably and well. So you know where you can put those questions about patriotism, right?

* I have a couple of stories, but I will save those for a time when I am less likely to set something on fire

No comments: