Friday, October 24, 2008

A Little Bit of Little Bit

Sumbitch.

I can't believe I just started watching this show. Hell, I'm afraid to keep watching this show, because I know it just stops at season three, all unresolved and damn!

Y'all know that I'll watch anything with Brad Dourif in it, so frankly, I'm surprised that it took me so long to sign on.



Don't worry; this won't be like the time I had my wisdom teeth out and blew through all 90 seasons of The West Wing in a drooly, narcotic-stuffed weekend and I would have long conversations with Toby that I thought were actually happening.




I'm currently stalled at S1E10. Because netflix is playing me. In fact, I don't even know why I bother ordering my queue! I'll probably get items 100, 217, and 43 on my list next. Netflix is a janky ho, sometimes.

Anyway, there's a lot to love about this show, all I which I want to get into later when I finish the first season. For right now, I just want to think about this little scene, which comes near the end of things for Rev. Smith. He starts off as this irritating if ultimately good-hearted nuisance...and then he becomes this living, breathing, human part of the camp...and then...

Well, it starts off looking like epilepsy. But it turns out to be a tumor. His vision goes. He loses control over the left side of his body. He smells phantom smells and can't remember things and it's just heartbreaking. And this poor man tries so hard to bear it like a Christian soldier; and for the most part, he seems to be superhumanly stoic about the whole thing. But in this scene, you can see him let down his guard a bit with the only two men in the camp able to offer that little bit of succor that means everything.

I know what's coming next, ok? And as powerful as that will be (I just went ahead and spoiled myself at various Deadwood message boards), I'm just struck dumb by this scene for some reason. There's just something about the way Seth and Sol offer to walk Rev Smith home that gets me.

Edit: this clip won't affect you if you haven't been watching the show; so don't even bother sitting through this clip if you're dead inside and liable to comment in my box about how you were umoved and I'm corny and this looks like a dumb show because I swear to you, I will raise hell up in here. This show is my new shit. I will not hear anything said against it!

1 comment:

Admiral Neck said...

Perhaps now you understand why I had Calamity Jane as my avatar for so long. Welcome to the club, Adams.