Thursday, October 02, 2008


The funniest thing I read online today:

"I tried to add Peter Schilling as a friend on Facebook, and that motherfucker disapproved me."

And thus concludes my biennial post on Major Tom, a song with which I am happily, but inexplicably, obsessed.



So, I was stuck on a bus while the debates were happening, and I kept tuning in via NPR and then having to tune out because I would get so fucking angry. I'm not going to lie. And I'm not going to surprise you here, either. Sarah Palin gets on my last motherfucking nerve -- and I say this as someone who believes that she is more to be pitied than vilified. Or at least, I used to believe that. I used to think that she had been thrown into something for which she was clearly unfit and largely ignorant. That is, I knew that she didn't know anything, but it seemed as if she didn't know that she didn't know anything. Like, in the same way that it's possible for the vast majority of us to go about our uncritical ways never thinking about how much we don't know about, say, particle physics, I suspected -- and the sheer weight of youtube/CNN/newspaper evidence indicated - that Sarah Palin had gone through her 40+ years never worrying too much about Hamas or RU-487 or Plessy v. Ferguson. Which would be fine, if she was just some regla citizen. But ladies and gentlemen, this woman has a one-in-five chance, if her ticket is elected, of occupying the highest office in the land, and being the most powerful human being on this earth. FUCK YOU, AMERICA, that anyone, anywhere, in any corner of this great land, allows this travesty of a candidacy to proceed.

It's clear from what I was able to catch of the debates tonight (I was stuck on a bus listening to it on NPR) that Gov. Palin is not the happy idiot I thought she was, but rather, something altogether more insidious -- she's a mean idiot. She's one of those people who doesn't know much, and is happy not to know much.

You know, when people were talking yesterday about how Gov. Palin couldn't name a single Supreme Court case with which she disagreed -- not because she's in complete accord with the long history of American jurisprudence -- but because she actually couldn't name a single Supreme Court Case, I had to stop and think a moment. How many cases could I name, on the spot, if pressed? The people I was speaking with could name 5, 6, 10 off the tops of their heads (yes, I do know some lawyers, but I also know some regla folks). And the thing is, trying to keep it honest, I had to admit that five was my limit, without really sitting down and thinking it through.


Five.

And I had the good sense to be ashamed of myself. Because a lot more of the rights I take for granted every day aren't covered in the five I could easily call to mind. Now, in my defense, I was able to come up with a lot more once I thought about it, but that's not the fucking point. The point is, there are people who don't know anything and want to, and there are people who don't anything and don't care to. Because as far as they're concerned, it doesn't matter.

This attitude infuriates me. This attitude, evident throughout the debate tonight, that says, "well, Joe Six-Pack is a good guy, and so whatever he thinks is probably ok," ...

No.

No.

Being "a good person" is not enough. Just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is not enough. Just wishing and hoping and praying that America will continue to manifest its destiny as some chosen state is not fucking enough. Fuck you, Joe Six-pack! I would love to have a beer with you and watch the game! But I don't want you to be president! We all love to play armchair quarterback on Monday morning, but the fact is, there's a reason why ...

Ok. cough, sputter


I want a president that is smarter than me. I want a vice-president that's smarter than me. No, I don't happen to think that that's necessarily demonstrated by the acquisition of advanced degrees. But I do want some evidence of a sharp intellect and astute judgment. To paraphrase my best friend Fergus: yeah, Sarah Palin is just like you, Mr. And Mrs. Middle America. And I wouldn't vote for your ignorant ass, either.

For fuck's sake.




2 comments:

Mrs. Swank said...

I think you just summarized my thoughts about Ms. Palin exactly -- particularly the "mean idiot" idea. I had to stop watching the debate last night because I ran out of middle fingers with which to flip her off.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Amen to that Fergus! And can she quit trying to be so cute, it's annoying.