Sunday, April 06, 2008

Everything I Do Gon' Be Funky (From Now On)

Andrew Goodwin, the estimable Professor of Pop, today linked to Hitsville's trenchant review of the Scorcese-Stones spectacle, Shine a Light. Broc, Spencer, and I have tentative plans to check the film out tonight (with Broc and Spencer -- long-time Angelenos -- campaigning hard for the Arclight "experience," whatever that might be, and your fearless leader coming down on the "give me Imax or give me death" side) so I was eager to hear what Bill Wyman had to say. Well, eager might be overstating it a bit. Let us say, rather, that I wondered if he was the sort of slackwitted hack who goes on about whether the Stones are still "relevant," which seems to me to be the most absurd -- and lazy! -- non-critique that rock journalists make about any artist past the age of 40. Well, Wyman's not a hack, and his review is fantastic and, you know, I love my boys but he's right on the money about the fatted calf that a Stones stadium show represents these days.

But anyway, in an example of the weird but wonderful circularity that trips me out daily, while I was reading it I happened to be listening to a cover of Lee Dorsey's "Everything I Do Gon' Be Funky (From Now On)" sung by Claudia Linnear, the foxy funky singer credited with being the inspiration behind both David Bowie's "Lady Grinning Soul" and the Stones' "Brown Sugar."


**You also gotta check out Wyman's resume of the R. Kelly allegations here.

1 comment:

Electric Mayhem said...

IMAX it will be. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

And in case anyone was wondering, "Shine a Light" was, oh how shall I say, FUCKING AWESOME.