Friday, December 14, 2007

For a Reason

Although I can't promise not to use this information against you at some unspecified future date, I'm curious:

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

To be clear, I don't mean that you would be required to listen to said song on 24-hour loop; you could decide when and where you would hear your selection -- but it would be the only song you would ever hear again. In life.

I'm only asking because I've been listening to the same 5 country songs all morning and while I wouldn't choose any of them to be my final ne plus ultra in this particular instance, I'll probably happily have them on repeat for the rest of the day.

For what it's worth, my choice is either "This Woman's Work"* or "Jolene"** or "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" or "God Is Trying to Tell You Something."

* and ** are both notable for being examples of songs in which I [heresy!] prefer remakes to the originals. As much as I love Kate Bush and Dolly Parton, I stan for the opaque grace with which Maxwell imbues "This Woman's Work."



The utterly transcendent Jeff Buckley:



Mindy Smith, manages to do the impossible: she manages to evoke the stark desperation of that song as well as Dolly -- but by making the song sound super creepy. As far as I'm concerned, the unnamed singer of "Jolene" in the Mindy Smith version sounds as she's got blood-stained hands, if you catch my meaning. In the very best tradition of Child ballads, if you ask me.


Video is a bit shit, frankly. As far as I'm concerned, they missed a trick not having some nu-skool David Fincher film it.

And for Fergus, Teri, and every knucklehead in the Horton family who doubts the power of my one-woman Color Purple:



ETA: Those of you [rightly] wondering why there's no Chris Whitley represented on this list should know that I couldn't pick just one song.

No comments: