Sunday, March 25, 2007

Making the Scene


My peoples!


I know that's it been a long time. And you're right: I shouldn't have left you without a dope beat to step to. But mama's been dealing with the good, the bad, and the ugly this past month (and a half), so let's agree to dispense with the recriminations and come back together like the family we are, bitches.

News you can use: a few days after my last posting, I went in to the U of MN dental clinic for [fairly] routine oral surgery. I've reached the luscious, ripe, ready, age of 32 with four tangled up, crackhead wisdom teeth just causing all kinds of trouble in my mouth. Actually, the teeth weren't causing any trouble; but the dentist assured me that they were going to, and it was high time I had them out. And since it made sense to just deal with all the recovery at once, I scheduled all the extractions for mid-January (during winter break). So far, so good.

The problem is, my surgery wasn't going to be fairly routine. My wisdom teeth were all in very weird, very complicated positions; and because they had been allowed to grow unchecked for so long, one in particular had prevented the formation of bone in my jaw on the lower left side. How I've gone this long without jaw problems is a miracle, apparently, as the oral surgeon took a look at my x-rays and said: "your jaw could shatter at any time. Your jaw is paper thin right here. All it would take is biting down on something the wrong way, or being hit at just the right angle..."

I know, right?!

So, once the dentists start taking a look at what's going in there, everyone becomes a lot more concerned. I mentioned that I go to the U of MN dental school clinic, right? I started going there as a graduate student (the last time I had dental insurance) and because I never had anything complex to deal with, I kept going there. The vast majority of the time, you are getting worked on by students. Normally, that's cool. But now, that's an issue. I get passed up the chain of command from intermediate to advanced to resident to faculty member. There are whispered consultations galore. They keep calling more people into the room to look at my x-rays. I start to get very nervous.

The upshot is, I didn't have the surgery in January. I had to reschedule for mid-February. And that's when the trouble started.

Stay tuned for Part II of Jaw'll Must be Kidding Me

No comments: