Monday, December 18, 2006

Looking Back




I haven't used my laptop for anything but home-based wifi piracy for so long, I'd forgotten that I had a couple of post drafts floating around on the hard drive. I found the following today while I was at Anodyne. I thought I had posted this already, but as it's clearly half-formed, perhaps I'm hallucinating. I wish I could remember what in the hell I was thinking about while I was writing it. I promise you that I was either just off the phone with Fergus or just about to call him.


"These Things Are True"

These things will never fail to crack me up:

Pimpadocious: it’s the “-docious” that makes it funny. Say it loud. Roll it around your mouth.*

I walk erect: Fergus used to say this when someone was being patronizing -- insinuating that something was beyond his limited intellect. He would say it all frustrated, like “I walk erect, dammit!” It used to crack me up! He doesn’t say this anymore. I wish he did.

Haggis McBaggis: I think this is the name of a store. I am laughing just typing that! Whew!


These songs always make me tear up, which is embarrassing if I am in public listening to my mp3 player:

“Fighter”: While I am mildly embarrassed about this, I don’t know why I should be. I have always loved a rousing personal empowerment anthem. Shit, I can listen to Bouncy ‘nem sing “Survivor” on repeat. When they talk about not trash talking someone after they did you wrong, because they were raised better than that? Come on! I love that, as ghetto fabulous as Beyonce can be, the sentiment of that song is actually very sophisticated. It takes a lot to not want to be just as ugly back to someone who has been ugly to you. Anyway, we’re talking about “Fighter” here, and the reason it makes me tear up is because I imagine I’m singing it to my dissertation. I’m pounding away on the computer singing like a damn fool and telling this bitchass magnum dorkus that with each letter I type I am learning a little bit faster, I’m a little bit smarter, a little stronger, and I’m ready to work a little bit harder. So thanks for making me a fighter. Woo! Now I’m tearing up again.**

* I remember laughing so hard at this word several months ago when I composed this post, but now, sadly, "pimpadocious" fails to amuse me. Actually...I take that back. I'm laughing again.

** Quelle surprise! I found this antiquated mention of my dissertation as I was avoiding work on it for what is likely the very last time. I am in the midst of piping the final icing on this bitchcake and waving goodbye to it forever. I have to turn in the final revisions to my advisor this Friday, and then we are going to get drunk and probably screw some hoes.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Just want to point out that I listened to Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" and "Make Love/Fuck War" ...like...five thousand times in the last year before my defense. There is a dissertation about dissertations here somewhere. Happy New Year, Dr. Adams.

Adams said...

Happy New Year to YOU, Mizz Menefee! How's Menomonie/Rice Lake/maple-sappin'/livin'-and-survivin' these days?

joan Menefee said...

Happy belated birthday. Take heart in the knowledge that you are younger than I am. Things are good; I was in Portland for a week + and now D and I are headed for Madison. I still haven't given up on a meeting of the minds here one of these days.