Friday, November 03, 2006

Stop Making Me Love Your Hot Ass

I screened Fresh this week in my Intro to African-American Studies class. I hadn't seen it in years, but it shot right back up into my top ten. If you haven't seen it, do yourself the colossal favor of netflixing it rat nah. I guarantee you that the final scene will leave you wounded.

But this post isn't about that. It's about Giancarlo Esposito,


who plays Esteban in the flick. Man, I had forgotten all about his fine self. I had a mad crush on him. I wonder what he's up to these days. Wikipedia has him working on that Vanessa Williams show, South Beach, but I think that got cancelled.

In other "You're Making Me Love You All Over Again" news, 10 points to Jason, who blew my mind with some Peter Schilling last night.

Let's enter the confessional, shall we?

Full disclosure: I love David Bowie's visionary autobiographical/allegorical "Major Tom,"(from the song "Space Oddity," obviously a riff on Kubrick and 2001: A Space Odyssey) but I loooooooooooooooooove Peter Schilling's rearticulation/expansion/revisioning/cheap rip-off from the early '80s. I realize that this makes all of my taste suspect. Whatever, haters.



German version (the best part of this is the message in the comment section that says "Dang, it took me 23 years to find out he was German?!" Um, could cheese this delicious come from anywhere but Germany? Please!

5 comments:

Electric Mayhem said...

Mmm, you're right, Giancarlo IS hot, and a really good actor. He's in that movie Sherrybaby, which I heard Maggie Gyllenhaalhoweverthefuckyouspellhername is supposedly terrific in.

zach said...

I won't judge your taste, because I just downloaded [stole] Peter Schilling's Major Tom about a month ago. I heard it on the radio randomly and went straight to the internet, but had a bitch of a time finding the English version.
The video, though... now that's genius.

Anonymous said...

I always wondered if there was any direct, acknowledged link between Space Oddity and that song, or if it was just in my goofy mind that the two were so obviously connected. Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

And what's up with the roller-skating car-hop waitresses? Huh?

Adams said...

"4, 3, 2, 1...Earth below us, drifting, falling.." blah blah blah synth pop is my kryptonite. I can't deny the power.

When should I admit that I also love that Mike and the Mechanics song with the cheesy space theme? I think a kid was in the video, getting messages from aliens [/not remembering this correctly].

Snuffy said...

Where were you all of the times I was going on about Giancarlo! By the way, we haven't chatted in a while, but go on and click this: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=113717687&MyToken=9ca47eb9-a480-4b73-bf65-48b6f452aae7

You're welcome.