Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Little Orphan Tranny

Remy Ma, H.A.M.


I've been spending a lot of time avoiding my dissertation/hooding out online lately, and let me ask y'all a question. When did "she looks like a man!" "that's a dude!" "Bitch a tranny" or whatever variation become the insult du jour? Am I crazy or is this new? We can only blame Austin Powers a little bit for this "that's a man, baby!" phenomenon, I think. Putting on my bootleg academic hat for a minute, let me say that I have real problems with this -- probably because I hear it primarily directed at black women (granted, I've been spending a lot of time at www.crunktastical.blogspot.com and www.hotghettomess.com lately, actively looking for H.A.M, but still..does this seem new to other people, too? Is it simply due to, I don't know, the increased visibility of actual transgendered/transvetic people? Am I overthinking this? Probably. This dissertation has broken my brain for real.

Anyway, I'll tell you why this seems weak to me. The posters over at Fresh's site (which is so amazing it has to be the whole reason the internet was invented) who said that Hoopz (of Flavor of Love "fame", who was shown shaking like a...um, not a saltshaker...maybe a mostly empty jar of Mrs. Dash) had a "hard ass jawbone" (tm Mochapeach)and looked like "fucking transformer" (tm brownchik) or Optimus Prime (ninjagrrl) were clowning her and being funny. Just calling her a man because you think she's ugly...is it that deep, people? Yeah, I've had a lot of coffee today. What? What?! Try harder, people!

1 comment:

VanDyke said...

You know where to find the ham. Just come on home.