Wednesday, March 08, 2006

La La La, I Can't Hear You



I ran into my friend, Dan, in the grad student computer lab today. I've been skittish about going to certain places on campus, because the monkey people are so very, very young these days. I feel as if everyone is looking at me and wondering why my old ass is carting around that beat down backpack and pretending to be a student. I'm also more than a little nervous that I will run into a former student, who will stop me and ask why I'm still here. As I was talking to Dan, I broke down how it had just occurred to me that a freshman student who took my Intro to Modern Fiction class in 1997 could very well have finished their B.A. and be finishing their own Ph.D in the very near future. I am coming up on the national average, kids: 10 years. Jeeeeeeez.

Anyway, talking to Dan (who defended and walked in December) was like talking to the little devil that sits on your shoulder and tells you to go ahead and run over those damn pedestrians because those punks need to be taught a lesson.

Dan: If you had to turn in your dissertation this weekend, how long would the draft be?
Ebony: I don't know. Around 150 pages, I guess?
Dan: Dude, you're done. Quit writing.

Ebony: So...how do you feel? Do you feel that kind of huge relief a-
Dan: I don't feel any different. At all. Seriously. I thought I would. But I.Feel.No.Different.

Dan: So, I know you're busy writing and everything, but you and me and Melanie should hang out, socialize...
Ebony: Yeah, let's go get a beer.

As I said, Dan walked in December. What I mean is, he attended commencement and was hooded (presumably by his advisor). I've gone back and forth over the past few years. I vacillate between wanting to walk to revel in the pomp and circumstance and acknowledge the end of all this drama. But an increasingly larger part of me just doesn't care about that particular waymarker anymore. If I can just finish and get out of here, that should be enough. Plus, doctoral robes are expensive, yo.

But I think that, yeah -- I'll probably walk.

Explanation of doctoral hooding here (from MSU):Ok, I'm starting to get excited again.
And a picture of the U of M's Centenary Ph.D Gown here: pretty...and 629$

No comments: