Wednesday, November 16, 2005

You Ain't Got Nothing


It's 2:09 am on Wednesday, 16 November 2005. I have to defend a dissertation in a month that a) is not complete b)is largely incomprehensible (the portions that are completed, that is) c) is inadequately-researched and consequently, poorly-argued.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that one of my committee members is still on board. If she is not, I have to enlist a last minute pinch hitter...and my work is not really of the quality which makes strange professors jump at the chance to be affiliated with it...

I haven't been getting much sleep the past couple of days. I've been eating a lot of cereal, though, which I find curiously comforting.

Anyway, this is just a note to myself to say "You're stronger than you think you are. You didn't run that danged marathon for nothing. Remember who was looking out for you then?"

2 comments:

Electric Mayhem said...

Eb, we're all looking out for you and we know you can do this. I won't start in on how hard you're being on yourself, because sometimes that attitude produces good work. Just keep in mind that you're a highly articulate, creative, bright individual, and this is coming from someone who's known you consistantly as that for almost 20 years.

zach said...

Thomas Mann claimed that a good writer "is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people." But Bertrand Russell once said that "one of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important." Keep plugging away - you can and will get through this brilliantly - but don't let it cost you your sanity. Get some sleep on occasion, woman! The cereal, by the way? Good choice. That and donut holes have gotten me through many a crisis.