Saturday, September 03, 2005

Mark It Down

Thursday afternoon, while I was tap-tap-tapping away on my keyboard at work, I listened to Mark Lamarr sub for Mark Radcliffe on BBC Radio 2. Lamarr had promised to do an hour and a half show of all requests, and like the wage-slavin' badassssss I am, I requested "I'm Bad" by LL Cool J (it turns out to be true, kids: ladies do love cool James), or barring that, some Sam Cooke -- one of my favorite artists, whether he was leading the Soul Stirrers or singing about his li'l red rooster. You dig? I didn't expect to get my request played, as I've asked for some Buck Owens in the past and gotten bitterly denied. But Thursday afternoon...man, it all came together. Just as I was getting ready to have my 20th nicotine craving of the day, he did it. Monsieur Lamarr played some Sam Cooke, said that it was for me, and then proceeded to break down why he couldn't play the LL Cool J track. Peeps, whatever -- I couldn't have cared less. Lamarr thinks I got great taste in music and he said my name on air and I'm telling you: it doesn't even matter that he thinks I'm a dude.

No comments: